Saturday, January 14, 2012

Multi-fuel Stove Design Blacksmith Artisan

.


Some Design Features Noted
with Question Marks on the
Blacksmith Artisan 





While writing the last post regarding inset stove efficiency, I was looking more closely at the photo I took of the Blacksmith Artisan with the door open, and I noticed a couple of features which might just have an impact on the overall efficiency of the convection section of the stove.

I have marked the two features in the above photo which I feel could possibly adversely affect the airflow of the convection box. (see my previous posts on inset stove design)

FEATURE NUMBER ONE IN QUESTION

The top arrow points to the "air-wash" vent. The question I have in mind is; from where does this vent take it's input. I suspect that it takes air from the convection air channel. If it does this, it is doing two very wrong things:

(1)  It might thus be mixing convection air with combustion air - this is a complete no-no in good stove design.

(2)  By possibly taking warm air from the convection flow, it would at least be reducing the efficiency of the convection heater section of the stove.

FEATURE NUMBER TWO IN QUESTION

The lower arrow points to a large slot cut to accommodate the handle locking mechanism. This slot is about the same size as one of the air intake vents. If the slot is cut into the convection channel, which I suspect it is, it will at least cause turbulence in the convection air flow and reduce the efficiency.

If anyone has clear and concise answers to these two questions, I would be happy to hear and to possibly publish.


ADDENDUM 6th Feb 2012

To be fair to Blacksmith, I have seen the air wash vent in another make of inset stove, apparently take its input from the convection channel.

Another point to add is that Blacksmith's Artisan is by no means the only inset stove with a question mark regarding the rated heat output. I am beginning to think many inset stoves carry an over-rated output figure through no fault of the vendor, and that perhaps the fault lies in the the way these stoves are tested?







.

No comments: